2016 Gold Standing Liberty Quarter Launch (Updated)

by Mike Unser on September 8, 2016 · 118 comments

The United States Mint is selling the highly anticipated 2016-W Standing Liberty Centennial 1/4 Ounce Gold Coin beginning at noon ET today, Sept. 8. The commemorative appears 100 years after the original Standing Liberty quarter debuted, and it is the second of three gold coins for this year to celebrate the 1916 renaissance in American coinage.

2016-W Standing Liberty Centennial Gold Quarter and Presentation Case

Hermon A. MacNeil’s original bare-breasted obverse and eagle reverse designs appear on the gold Standing Liberty quarter. The obverse (heads) features Liberty holding a shield and olive branch as she steps through an opening in a wall bearing 13 stars. Different from the original design, it has added inscriptions of AU 24K and 1/4 oz. The reverse (tails) depicts and eagle in flight flanked by 13 stars. The coin ships encapsulated and hand packaged in a custom-designed, hardwood presentation case that is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity.

Unlike its century-old predecessor that was struck in 90% silver and 10% copper, this newest collectible is composed in .9999 fine 24-karat gold. Its one-quarter ounce weight is symbolic of the coin’s denomination, as is its business strike.

Here’s a table comparing specifications between the original quarter and the new centennial quarter:

1916 Standing Liberty Quarter 2016 Gold Standing Liberty Quarter
Composition 90% silver; 10% copper 99.99% Gold
Weight 0.18084 troy oz. (6.25 grams) 0.2500 troy oz. (7.776 grams)
Diameter 0.956 inch (24.3 mm) 0.866 inch (22.00 mm)
Thickness 0.069 inch (1.75 mm) 0.064 inch (1.63 mm)
Edge Reeded Reeded
Production Facilities Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco West Point

Second Release in 2016 Centennial Gold Coins

In April, the U.S. Mint released the first of the three centennial pieces, the gold Mercury dime. Priced at $205; limited to a mintage of 125,000 coins; and restricted to sales of 10 coins per household, it effectively sold out after 40 minutes.

The gold Standing Liberty quarter has a lower mintage of 100,000 but it has a smaller household ordering limit of one coin and it is priced higher at $485.

A 2016-W Walking Liberty Half-Dollar Gold Coin will debut later in the year, completing the centennial product series.

Ordering

Those interested in the gold Standing Liberty quarter can order one on release straight from the U.S. Mint’s website. The coin’s product page is right here. Place phone orders at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).

Update (Sept. 9 at 10:19 a.m.): First-day sales of the Standing Liberty 2016 Centennial Gold Coin reached 47,884, the United States Mint announced.

Update (Sept. 13 at 5:02 p.m.): The U.S. Mint reported sales of 53,378 coins through Sunday, Sept. 11.

magerlee September 10, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I got 3 coming, one to my p.o. Box. One under my wife’s name to our home, and another to my mom’s address. So there are probably less collectors than the numbers show as I’m sure I’m not the only one getting multiples.

Tim September 11, 2016 at 9:29 am

Ya there’s ways to get more than one. Probably none are
really cost effective on any large scale by flippers and dealers though.
Two’s the right limit in my mind. Kind of hard to gift one if you can
only get one.

michael September 12, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Still not sold out.

Bud Fox September 12, 2016 at 8:52 pm

magerlee

Hope u used credit cards with different billing addresses or they will cancel the duplicate address orders.

michael September 13, 2016 at 8:26 am

The Mint should be happy that magerlee ordered three. They won’t sell out until they raise the household limit

Marie September 13, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Seems like this coin is a dud.

Mage Lee September 13, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Well, ive received one of mine so far and it is BEAUTIFUL! It might seem like a dud if you are just wanting to flip it. It seems to me like the 2009 UHR took quite some time to sell out but ended up a long term winner. Of course the UHR is also a beautiful coin. The Kennedy 3/4 oz gold on the other hand is probably along term loser and in my humble opinion, Butt ugly. I bought 5 and sold one for a break even (on the one)

Mike Unser (CoinNews.net) September 14, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Here’s a video of one of the coins:

Tom September 15, 2016 at 8:01 am

I received this coin from the mint and it is in perfect shape. I dont need to have it rated to tell me or any other collector its condition.Why anyone would purchase this from a flipper or as a rated item at an exorbitant price is beyond me when they can still get it direct from the mint for $485. When the craziness dies down, I will get an unrated dime at a reasonable price. :]

Tom September 15, 2016 at 8:05 am

I cant wait for the release of the gold 50 cent piece.

Nels September 15, 2016 at 4:21 pm

I just received mine today! It is Beautiful!!! I don’t see anything wrong with it so I got a good one!!!

Tim September 15, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Because many flipper EBay ads are for coin neophytes.
For example the below attributes of an ad:
2016-W 10C Mercury Dime Gold 100th Anniversary Early Strikes Unsearched for Mint Errors.
So they have coin they haven’t looked at that may be rare
and bring you riches. You are the sleuth that uncovered this gem
and need to get it before the crowd moves in. You are special and smart
and have the upper hand. Gotta get it now or else……………

Tim September 15, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Intended for Tom’s comment:
“Why anyone would purchase this from a flipper or as a rated item at an exorbitant price is beyond me when they can still get it direct from the mint for $485.”

bilelle September 15, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Maybe some of the people buying on duh bay don’t know it can be bough at the mint. I can’t imagine why they would be buying off duh bay at this
point.

Mike Unser (CoinNews.net) September 20, 2016 at 2:01 pm

The U.S. Mint is removing the household order limit effective tomorrow, Wednesday, September 21.

Bilelle September 20, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Mike thanks

Bilelle September 20, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Mike Unser, do you know if the limit removal will take place at the open of business on Weds or at noon like a new product dies?
Thanks, Bilelle

Mike Unser (CoinNews.net) September 20, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Expect the removal by early morning.