Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set Sells Out

by Mike Unser on August 13, 2014 · 12 comments

Availability of the 2013 Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set has ended with the United States Mint tagging the product as “sold out." U.S. Mint reporting last had its sales at 15,144.

Medals of the 2013 Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set

Opened view of the 2013 Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set and photos of its medals

I like this set. It’s unique with two medals, a coin and complimenting packaging. Most importantly, it includes the first ever 99.9% silver Roosevelt medal struck by the U.S. Mint. For that reason alone I was a tad surprised that sales didn’t reach higher — but then it’s not a coin either.

2013 Silver Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Medal - Obverse

2013 Silver Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Medal – Obverse

2013 Silver Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Medal - Reverse

2013 Silver Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Medal – Reverse

Also, the timing of the set’s release was less than perfect and the delay in shipping them didn’t help. It’s harder to get motivated for a 2013-dated product when 2014 is right around the corner, it’s also more difficult to free-up extra money so close to the holidays, and then the set’s late shipping, about three-months after ordering, dampened excitement and diluted word of mouth.

Slip Cover and Packaging for 2013 Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set

Slip cover and outer packaging for 2013 Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set

2013 Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set opened half way

The set opened half way

2013 Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set opened all the way

An open view of the set with its coin, two medals and booklet about Roosevelt

Collectors who purchased sets have to be pretty happy — they received an attractive product and there aren’t a lot of them around. Secondary market prices are starting around $75 for one, and there is room for growth.

Released on Dec. 17, 2013 for $57.95, the Coin and Chronicles Set includes:

• a 2013-S Proof Theodore Roosevelt Presidential $1 Coin
  • a 1.5-inch Bald Eagle National Wildlife Refuge System Centennial Bronze Medal
  • a one-ounce, 99.9% pure silver Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Medal
  • a 4×6 print honoring President Roosevelt’s military service
  • a booklet with educational information about Roosevelt’s life and legacy

The bronze Bald Eagle medal was adapted from the first of four .900 fine silver medals released in 2003 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the National Wildlife Refuge System. To follow are photos of the bronze medal in the set and then photos of the silver medal issued in 2003.

2013 Bald Eagle National Wildlife Refuge System Centennial Bronze Medal - Obverse

2013 Bald Eagle National Wildlife Refuge System Centennial Bronze Medal – Obverse

2013 Bald Eagle National Wildlife Refuge System Centennial Bronze Medal - Reverse

2013 Bald Eagle National Wildlife Refuge System Centennial Bronze Medal – Reverse

2003 Bald Eagle National Wildlife Refuge System Centennial Silver Medal - Obverse

2003 Bald Eagle National Wildlife Refuge System Centennial Silver Medal – Obverse

2003 Bald Eagle National Wildlife Refuge System Centennial Silver Medal - Reverse

2003 Bald Eagle National Wildlife Refuge System Centennial Silver Medal – Reverse

The silver Theodore Roosevelt Presidential is also based on an older design. It was originally offered by the U.S. Mint in bronze sizes of 3-inch and 1 5/16-inch.

Finally, here is a photo of the proof $1 found within the set.

2013-S Proof Theodore Roosevelt Presidential $1 Coin - Obverse

2013-S Proof Theodore Roosevelt Presidential $1 Coin – Obverse

Johnny U August 13, 2014 at 7:33 am

Rough Riders mount up!

jim August 13, 2014 at 10:13 am

Another coin from last year still selling this year. Of course they didn’t offer the set until Dec 17, 2013 – what were they thinking?

Mike Irwin August 13, 2014 at 10:32 pm

I’ve had my set for some time. It’s really well put together and an incredible price. I really love it. I’m just surprised it took so long to sell out. It gives a very good synopsis on Teddy Roosevelt’s life, things I didn’t know.

Joe August 14, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Very nice set with the 99.9% silver Roosevelt medal. Glad I jumped on some when I did. The price should rise pretty quick over the years.

dale August 14, 2014 at 7:06 pm

..i think it was a couple of months before i received this set into 2014…999 silver medal glad i got it…low mintage

jim August 16, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Joe – supply and demand. In this case low demand so I wouldn’t expect rarity to have much effect on the future value of the set. It’ll go up some but probably not much more than a set of books for a semester of college (i.e. don’t plan on paying for your kid’s college education with this coin set.)

Joe August 16, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Still glad I bought them jim. I’m not going to sell anytime soon. Like the low mintage. The price will go up over the years.

jim August 17, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Not saying you shouldn’t have bought, I got one myself.

Brian V. August 29, 2014 at 9:34 am

TR is a personal hero…I visited Saginaw Hill, his residence in Long Island when I was a kid and was in awe of his accomplishments with regard to National Parks and Big Game hunting, etc. Then when I learned about his impact on our nation’s coinage with St. Gaudens as an adult, it just solidified my admiration of the man.
Only bought one set, but don’t plan on selling it any time soon anyway. Just glad to have it as an addition to the 2003 medal series I’ve collected in the last decade.

Dwight October 10, 2015 at 9:17 pm

On ebay a 2013 Theodore Roosevelt Coin & Chronicles Set sold via Buy It Now for $219.00 + $6.00 shipping on August 24, 2015 @ 04:56 AM as Item # 191660733879 by seller abstractfashow. The original U.S. Mint issue price was $57.95. The gain calculates to be: $219 – $57.95 = $161.05, which is a lucrative increase of 277.9%.

SENZA November 13, 2015 at 9:46 pm

I got more than $200.00 for mine I knew this was under the radar and it would have value because it has the first Presidential Silver Medal in a Coin & Chronicles set as far as I am aware.

Caffeine Mike from HSN and the Dealers on the Truman chronicles helped bring this one to recognition – my only regret is I didn’t buy more than I did to re-sell. I know I watched the numbers and this stalled at sales of 8545 but if you look now the mint claims 15,000+ were sold – this remains a mystery to me.

It’s kind of sad now that so many amateurs are involved and either asking outrageous prices or selling for losses because they don’t know what their doing. I used to be able to buy 2 or 3 of anything I wanted and sell 2 to reduce or make free the 1 I kept but now with HSN claiming they get half of all US Mint releases they want and dealers getting similar preferential treatment and recently amateurs doing all the crazy things they do it’s a whole new and disappointing ball game.

Joe September 19, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Hi , I bought my set when they were first released. The way I got mine was by accident. On the day that I got it , I was just searching the mints site . Nothing caught my eye , so I started to look at the other things that they had for sale. . I never bothered to look at the medal’s but I’m glad that I did ! With the low mintage that they were showing , I knew that it was going to be a winner and I bought one set . I am new to the hobby , I just started out in 2009 so I was just learning the ropes . Since then I have been one of those flippers on eBay . I am disabled from a birth defect that came out in my 50s . The extra money has gotten me thru some tough times . I try to keep my prices reasonable and it gave me a chance to get some of these sets and coins for myself !By the way, I still have the 2013 Eisenhower set .That one taught me a lesson , always keep a eye on the mint . You will never know what the next hot coin may be. Thanks for hearing me out, Joe