Lincoln Penny Design Images for 2009 Circulating Cents

by CoinNews.net on September 22, 2008 · 41 comments

2009 Lincoln penny design images were revealed by U.S. Mint Director Ed Moy Monday morning during a news conference at the Lincoln Memorial. The four reverse designs celebrate a different aspect of Abraham Lincoln’s life: his birth and childhood in Kentucky, his formative years in Indiana, his professional life in Illinois and his Presidency in Washington, D.C.

2009 Lincoln Penny Reverse Design Images

"This is a momentous occasion in the history of our Nation’s coinage because these designs represent the first change in the Lincoln cent in half a century," said Director Moy.

"These coins are a tribute to one of our greatest Presidents whose legacy has had a lasting impact on our country.  He believed all men were created equal, and his life was a model for accomplishing the American dream through honesty, integrity, loyalty, and a lifetime of education."

The four-coin series was authorized to celebrate the bicentennial of President Lincoln’s birth and the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent. Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809. The first new cent will begin circulating in the U.S. on the same day in 2009 — the 200th anniversary of his birth.

When that cent is issued, it will mark first time the image on the penny has changed in half a century.  In 1959, the currently used Memorial reverse replaced the well known Wheat Ears design. The new designs will be issued in approximately three-month intervals throughout the year.

The obverse or heads side of the one-cent coins will continue to bear Victor David Brenner’s likeness of President Lincoln, introduced in 1909. At the end of the 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial One Cent Coin Program, the reverse of the penny will feature a design emblematic of President Lincoln’s preservation of the United States of America as a single and united country.

In addition to new circulation pennies, the Abraham Lincoln Commemorative Coin Act also calls for up to 500,000 commemorative silver dollars for collectors in 2009.

Editor’s Note: See the four 2009 Lincoln Penny images, and for additional information visit the CoinNews sister sites 2009 Lincoln Pennies, Lincoln Pennies, or Lincoln Coin and Chronicles Set.

2009 Lincoln Cents September 22, 2008 at 2:07 pm

Interesting choices. A few of them might end up looking diminutive when scaled to the size of a penny.

Maybe this will spur some more new coin collectors. The entire set will only be four cents!

Edward Stevenson, Jr. September 23, 2008 at 12:00 am

Where doesthe date go?

Nick S. September 23, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Where is “In God We Trust”? Did they stick it on the side like they did with the new quarters? Shameful.

Edward Stevenson, Jr. September 23, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Wait are theseall reverses?
Maybe an obverse has the date and motto? Can we look forward to a new bust?
New collectors? Perhaps. A whole new generation for coin dealers to rob

Don Bessette September 24, 2008 at 7:25 am

Why do some people cry shame before they know something. As the other side remains the same, then the portrait of Lincoln will be capped with In God We Trust as it has been for the last 50 years. And the date is on the Obverse as well. “Liberty” still rules!

Robert Whitehall January 11, 2009 at 4:06 pm

They are all beautiful coins. I would love to know just where to buy some. It seems that the Mint will no give out (any) information as to buying rolls or bags.

Frankie February 12, 2009 at 10:32 am

well to me it just looks like Lincolns hair got a little bit higher…all that hair spray!

Lydia February 17, 2009 at 2:38 pm

where can I buy them no banks around southern Indiana has them or know when they will or if they will

William J. Comstock February 19, 2009 at 12:40 am

I haven’t seen anyplace where it says the Lincoln Pennies are available in the 2009 Scheduled Products Listing. I also haven’t seen when the Lincoln Dollar and the 4 Lincoln Pennie Mint set/proof sets will be available. Hope you can answer my questions.

Sincerely
William J. Comstock

Justin Schmittler February 19, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Well I have called the US Mint, Dept. of Treasury, and the Fed. Bank in Chicago (for my home area) and no one knows much of anything. The Fed. Bank in Chicago stated to me that they will have to use up or remove the current pennies in circulation and as that happens they will gradually release the new pennies to the banks. Also the guy at the Fed. stated the rolls will likely be mixed, they wont be complete rolls of new pennies. So looks like the people who attended the ceremony last week in Kentucky have some real pieces, thus the $70+ for a roll on ebay. I think for the general public these are going to be tough to come by in full rolls, BU condition from your bank. If anyone does stumble across some and could purchase me a box, contact me at justnmoline@mchsi.com Thanks!!!!

Frank Passarelli February 25, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I have also called numerous banks in my state and the state where I came from. They don’t have them either. I have seen rolls go for over a hundred dollars on e-bay. That is INSANE people. Its a friggen roll of pennies worth .50 cents. a 1909s vdb is worth just as much. Almost as scarce as a 1943 copper penny. Fargetabotit. Full rolls are going to real hard to come by unless you work in a bank that can get them. I am sure these bankers already know what they have. It is a damn shame that you and I can’t get a roll for our children at normal prices, which is .50 cents. I can hardly find 2008 pennies in great condition or in any condition. Please forward any info on these priceless pieces. Its just noncents!!

Chris March 6, 2009 at 10:01 am

I think the new design for the penny is awsome i can’t what to have one.

manny March 14, 2009 at 3:44 pm

I want the pennies so bad, they dont have it in Littleton coin, wher i buy my coins for my collection… I cant find the 2009 quarters either. I ordered the 2009 indian girl dollar coin but it didnt come and i waited for it for 2 months now… Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Mary March 31, 2009 at 2:29 pm

The coins are circulating. One came across my desk today, and I am
in Mississippi. Be patient people. and $100 on ebay? Good grief

Terri April 8, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I have a log cabin one. It feels a tad lighter than the other ones. Does anyone know what the RM on the left and JL on the right in the grass stand for? The artists?

Tyler June 9, 2009 at 8:52 pm

i have a book one

John June 28, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Does anyone know if the new pennies are being produced by the Denver and Philadelphia mints. I got my first penny today and it doesn’t have a mint mark but a dash where the mint mark is suppose to be. I wish more information would come out when they produce new coins.

Jeff June 28, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Non mint mark pennies come from Philadelphia.

emily July 9, 2009 at 8:47 am

I discovered a 2009 log cabin penny in my wallet. It definitely feels lighter than a 2007 penny I have. Is this part of the stimulus package? Haha..saving money by putting even less copper in the pennies.

mackenzie August 9, 2009 at 4:49 pm

hey what up i just started to colect pennies its amazing iv learn so much i hope i find a 2009 penny can u give me a clue were to find them that would so greati love pennies right now im working my way up to a millon but only have 3,711 pennies pennies is of the chang

Tyler September 23, 2009 at 7:32 am

I love the new penny design.It shows the life and purpose of Lincoln’s long lasting life.

Vince October 23, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Where is “In God We Trust”?

***********************************************************

Perhaps “separation of church & state” finally took effect!

paulette November 1, 2009 at 8:45 am

iwas relly excited about finding one of the new pennies. i hpoe i can collect the others and do a unit on Lincoln with my first grade class.

My brother-in-law said things must really be bad to make Pres. Lincoln stand up to take notice. HA-HA

William Alexander February 6, 2010 at 11:47 am

Would someone kindly send me an e-mail as to whet are the three buildings on the new 2009 lincoln pennys?

billymac11 February 8, 2010 at 11:17 am

William: The log cabin Lincoln was born in, the Illinois State House (Illinois State Capitol building might be more accurate), and the unfinished dome (during the time frame of the Civil War) of the U.S. Capitol building in Washington, D.C.

I know Vince was wondering way back in October where “In God We Trust” was. I’m sure by now he’s flipped his cents over and noticed it above Lincoln’s head where it’s been for 100 years.

John March 14, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Hoe come I haven’t seen any pennies with the capital being built on the back yet ?

Kyle May 19, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I agree with John I haven’t seen the capitol design yet.

preston November 4, 2010 at 9:57 am

i found one of those pennys in a handfull of change i got at the store.

DIANE November 6, 2010 at 4:12 am

I AGREE WITH THE PEOPLE WHO FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT OUR U.S MINT HAS LEFT OUT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE COIN, 2009 LINCOLN PENNY”IN GOD WE TRUST” , WHAT IS IT ? THE BEGINNING OF THE END???????????? WHAT WAS THEY STINKIN -THINKIN OF LINCILN,,,,,?

kelsey December 22, 2010 at 3:29 pm

are these pennies rare?

Gino December 23, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I have the second 2009 penny.

Roxy January 9, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I would like to know if they have any value to them. A penny is just a penny right?

Elinor February 5, 2011 at 10:18 am

How much are theese worth?

beki March 24, 2011 at 9:07 am

hey-i just got one of the lincoln pennies as change! look how long it took for it to traverse the system…it’s a ‘professional life’ edition. i am happy to own it. kewl!!!

Daniel Dowhan May 2, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Reporting from the future. I never spend pennies, they just build up in my house until I find a place that will roll them for free. And I saved ALL of the ones that I received with 2009 dates. Out of maybe 1000 now in my house, I have NO log cabins and a total of 6 among the other 3 designs. With billions of pennies minted in most years (yes, billions!), I find this very surprising. Where are they all hiding? No wonder rolls went for so much back when they were issued.

Quarters since 2009 are also surprisingly hard to find.

Daniel Dowhan May 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Oh, and all pennies still have “In God We Trust”. All of them. Right there on the obverse, over Abe’s head.

Emily October 27, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I just found a capitol one on the back of a penny i got in change does it ave any worth?

Augustine Robledo May 9, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Today l just got the 2009 penny in my pigged bank wear l keep lose change lam so glad that l have one but how much its Wtrth

jacob May 10, 2012 at 9:16 am

i have 1 but what im wondering is how many wher made

Andrew February 4, 2013 at 12:43 am

the In God We Trust is printed above lincoln on the front as always

Liz June 22, 2013 at 4:46 am

I have a 2008 penny that says In God I Trust but I do not seem to be able to find a reference for it, just 2009?