Presidential $1 Coins: ‘In God We Trust’ Motto Moves in 2009. Are Coin Edge-Letterings Gone Forever?

by CoinNews.net on December 30, 2007 · 13 comments

A flood of stories has appeared regarding the forthcoming movement of "In God We Trust" from the edge to the face of Presidential $1 Coins. They all started with President Bush’s signing of the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2008.

A newly signed law amends old changing the location of 'In God We Trust' from the $1 coin’s edge to one its faces. (U.S. Mint images)

CoinNews wrote about the legislative scrutiny in changing the motto’s location, expected the signing of the final legislation, reported about it minutes after it was signed and then surmised that the Presidential Dollar coins would not see change until 2009.

In truth, none of the "predictions" took a huge leap of insight;

• H.R. 2764, or the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2008, contained enough compromises to attain bipartisan support and presidential signature

• The same night the bill was signed into law, the U.S. Mint released images of all the 2008 Presidential $1 Coins and their design was exactly like the 2007 coins, making it easy enough to realize changes were not likely to happen until 2009

Assumptions and educated guesses are one thing, but will the motto changes actually happen in 2009?

U.S. Mint official: ‘In God We Trust’ motto will move on Presidential coins starting in 2009

The new law didn’t require an exact time for the Mint to relocate the motto. Pointedly, it stated the change:

“shall be put into effect by the Secretary of the Treasury as soon as is practicable after the date of enactment of this Act.”

No official statement for the timeline has been given by the Mint in the form of a press release. WorldNetDaily®, however, reported Mint public affairs deputy director Greg Hernandes as saying:

“The United States Mint proudly produces the coins that Congress authorizes and will promptly take steps to make these changes … The United States Mint plans to make this change beginning with the 2009 Presidential $1 Coins, which will coincide with the introduction of the first new Native American $1 Coins.”

Summarization of the Native American $1 Coins

The Native American $1 Coins Mr. Hernandes referenced is the legislation President Bush signed in Sept. 2007 that will commemorate Native Americans. In 2009, the Sacagawea Dollars will receive:

• Issue annual redesigns of the Sacagawea’s reverse image

• Include edge-incused inscriptions similar to the new Presidential $1 Coins

The Sacagawea coins will also be minted on par with the Presidential Dollars. (Due to the surplus of $1 coins, 2007 and 2008 Sacagawea coins are to be minted only for coin collectors.)

Will ANY edge-letterings remain for the Sacagawea and Presidential $1 Coins?

That very question has been asked many times since the new law was signed. The coin related sections of the newly signed Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2008 simply amend past law.

In affect, the previous law and its requirement are the same. Only the portion involving "In God We Trust" was amended. The new Sacagawea and Presidential Dollars released in 2009 will still at least include edge-letterings of:

• The coin’s date of issue
  • The mint mark
  • "E Pluribus Unum”

2009 will be an interesting year for collectors. Along with everything else, the US Mint will release newly designed Presidential Dollars, Sacagawea Golden Dollars and six new quarters.

Frank Labigang January 9, 2008 at 6:31 pm

Who was the smart person that came up with this idea anyway ? Probably one person just as the one did for ending prayers in school. Why not put this subject on the Nov. ballot and let the people decide ? This country is going so far backwards.I always thought the majority ruled. At least that is what I was taught. I spent 11yrs. in the Merchant Marines and have been all over the world. I was proud to tell people every where that I was an American. It hurts me to say this but I don’t think I would do so today. We used to be respected around the world but that respect is all but gone. My heart goes out for the men & women that has fought and died for this country.You politicens ( yes you ) for we are supposed to have the smartest people in the world in Washington but I am not so sure of that anymore. I think when you people are sent to our capital to reperscent us you leave your brains at home.
People today have to make a decision as of what to do without. Food,electricty or prescription drugs!! Once sent to Washington the elected offical has the best medical coverage ( including their families ) in the world while the majority of the people that elected these politicans have to do without. It is beyond me how you people can sleep nights. I know I couldn’t.

Dean Latter January 10, 2009 at 3:25 pm

“In God Wwe Trust” should remain. I beleive it depicts what our country stands for. I am still proud to be an “American” and that the majority should be recognized whenever possible.

Bill Fox January 11, 2009 at 6:33 am

I agree with Dean Latter, I wouldn’t let anyone know I was American Today. As an American I am Ashamed of the 9 Person Dictatorship formerly known as the Supreme Court in deciding that God, the mention of, of Prayers in School are against our law. They sure don’t mind letting Atheists Announce their Godless Crap, They don’t mind protecting the CRIMINAL ILLEGAL ALIENS Invading this country, or the International Terrorists Killing Americans here, But to Let Americans announce their Thoughts in school, on our money, or anything else is against THEIR Beliefs. I believe it is time we Do Away With the 9 Person Dictatorship who think they know better then any other American in our History what should and should not be done. LET THE ATHEIST LEAVE THIS COUNTRY IF THEY DO NOT LIKE IT.. Why should the 80 plus percent of Americans have to bow down to what that small percent of Atheists want. Down with the 9 Person Dictatorship……………

Patrick R. July 23, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Can’t you see, that the farther this nation gets from God the worse things get? They do away with prayer in schools, the Ten Commandments in the court rooms, they want to revise the pledge of allegiance, now this? This country was founded on the basis of Christianity and belief in God. How else would we come to be a “super power”, being one of the youngest nations? It sure wasn’t because of the geniuses in government. This nation was blessed by God. Now they want to do away with Him? Pretty soon God is going to forget about this nation or turn his rage upon it and I pray that I am not around to see it.
God Bless America

donald buckner July 24, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Keep the words IN GOD WE TRUST on our U.S. money

Debbie September 26, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Why is it that the minority tends to over rule the majority! This is rediculous……….this needs to be stopped. One more thing that George Bush has disappointed me in! LEAVE in GOD WE TRUST on our money!

Charollet H. October 7, 2009 at 5:06 pm

I THINK THIS IS AN OUTRAGE WHY HAVE THEY TAKEN THE “IN GOD WE TRUST” OFF OUR MONEY THIS NEW “DOLLARS” AREN’T REAL THE ARE FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR AT LEAST THATS WHAT I THINK THESE NEW COINS SHOULD BE TAKEN BACK OR STOPPED BEING SPREAD AROUND THIS IS UNFAIR TO REMOVE THE IN GOD WE TRUST FROM OUR DOLLARS REDICULIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! I’M VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS I HOPE THIS ISSUE AT HAND WILL BE RESOLVED QUICKLEY BECAUSE IT IS UPSETTING MANY AMERICANS ALL OVER.

Tony Asa December 5, 2009 at 8:08 pm

We first minted”In God we trust” on money just after the Civil War. This is American History! I’m a U.S Marine of the Vietnam conflict,let me tell you something. We have come through WWI. The war to end all wars ( so we thought) Then WWII. The respect for the very concept of GOD made us victorious! Our Money was the strongest on the planet! Now, he very thought of removing GOD from it will make it worthless, as well as the country that issues it!
The Marine Corps second motto is ” For GOD, Corps and Country”
Now that’s true Liberty and Democracy at its finest !
SEMPER FI .

A.A.A December 5, 2009 at 8:17 pm

I’m a Vietnam Type Infantry Rifleman (U.S Marine )
Only a Communist piece of Rat filth would even consider removing
“In GOD we Trust” He is THE ALMIGHTY COMMANDER and CHIEF !
The president is his appointee over the Marine Corps.

Respect the chain of Command. Leave the BIG CHIEF’s name on the money.
Commy pinko fascist!!

Munzen February 12, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Speaking of American history, please stop the chest-thumping for a minute and look up when the motto was put on American bills – 1957 to 1963! It wasn’t on ANY of the bills that the Greatest Generation carried into battle in WWII, nor was it on any of the buffalo nickels they had in their pockets, but somehow we won the war anyway. Maybe, just maybe, it was because those people had God in their hearts and minds where He could do the most good, and no one got worked up into a frenzy about whether there was a slogan on our money.

Munzen February 12, 2010 at 6:49 pm

P.S. Charolette, please take your caps lock *off* and put your spelling-checker *on* ….

Daniel Y July 7, 2011 at 8:21 pm

The IN GOD WE TRUST inscription is still on the coins but it has been moved to the face (obverse) and appears below and to the left of the president’s image. It is more visible and more protected from wear in this new location.

M. Farley July 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Don’t touch the money – leave “In God We Trust” on there. Maybe if the gov worried about balancing the national debt and the budget PERHAPS they wouldn’t have the time to have their little fingers in everything they should not be. I.E. changing things that should never be changed just because a few idiots spoke out and they said hmmmmm that sounds good. But no “I can’t balance the budget today – I have to listen to a few dodahs tell me I need to take prayer out of the schools and take “In God We Trust” off of our money.”
Pulease!!!!!! Gov is a joke……..if we all worked like they did nothing would ever get done.