Legend Rare Coin Auctions (www.legendauctions.com) presented the 24th and final Regency Auction of 2017. Held Dec. 14 in conjunction with the PCGS Members Only Show at Caesar’s in Las Vegas, over 390 lots went under the hammer.
The top earning rarity was a Condition Census 1795 half dollar from the Col. Green and Eric Newman Collections.
Graded PCGS MS62, the coin brought $141,000 when bidding ended.
"The Regency Auction on Thursday evening featured several great collections, including the current #2 PCGS Basic Design Type set — the Bubbabells Collection; a very cool offering of key gold and silver issues from the York Collection, and a Registry Set of Carson City Morgan dollars," stated Legend President, Julie Abrams.
"From the time the sale was posted online, we knew there was a lot of serious interest in this sale, as a record number of people viewed our online catalog," Abrams added.
Greg Cohen, Senior Numismatist for the firm, noted 20th century coins that were at or close to the apex of the grading scale for their respective issues saw heightened interest and realized strong prices.
Some highlights from the Bubbabells Collection included:
- Lot 4 1C 1908 PCGS PR67 RD. Realized $17,037.50
- Lot 34 50C 1939 PCGS MS68+ CAC. Realized $17,625
- Lot 42 $1 1921 Peace. PCGS MS66 CAC. Realized $12,337.50
- Lot 43 $1 1923 PCGS MS67 CAC. Realized $11,162.50
- Lot 368 $20 1914-D PCGS MS66+ CAC. Realized $45,825
- Lot 369 $20 $1914-S PCGS MS66+ CAC. Realized $30,550
Abrams said their boutique style presentation of coins lead to stronger prices.
"By limiting our sales to around 500 lots of hand selected coins, vetted for quality and value by our team of experts, our bidders do not have to search through thousands of subpar coins. They know they will be happy with their purchase, and can feel comfortable ‘stretching’ to add that special coin to their collections."
Other XXIV Regency Auction highlights included:
- Lot 50 $5 1897-S PCGS MS67+ CAC. Realized $41,125
- Lot 72 25C 1873-CC Arrows. PCGS AU55. Realized $79,312.50
- Lot 118 1C 1864 L on Ribbon. PCGS MS66 RB CAC. Realized $7,637.50
- Lot 188 10C 1814 STATES OF. PCGS AU58. Realized $17,037.50
- Lot 281 $1 1889-CC PCGS MS63. Realized $49,937,50
- Lot 358 $20 1893-S PCGS MS64 CAC. Realized $17,037.50
Laura Sperber, founder and partner in Legend Auctions, noted that 2018 could be really good for the coin market.
"Overall, we are very pleased with the results of the auction and we are seeing that the market may well be strengthening coming into 2018," Sperber said. "We did see very fierce bidding from many different participants. With the stock market at all time highs, the economy doing nicely, wages going up according to government reports, we are seeing lots of new names coming in and placing strong bids."
Legend Rare Coin Auctions’ 2018 auction schedule is on the firm’s website, www.legendauctions.com. The auction house will have Regency Auctions in January, May, July, September, and November. If you have coins to consign, contact either Julie Abrams or Greg Cohen to discuss your coins.