The United States Mint on Wednesday suspended sales of nearly every gold and platinum collector coin it offers in order to readjust prices.
The Mint’s online store currently lists the bullion collector coins in a "Product is not available" status. Several calls to customer service confirm the coins will be available again on Thursday, although four different and very courteous representatives provided varying times of the day for when, which seems to indicate an exact time may not yet be determined.
The suspended coins include all:
- American Buffalo 24K Gold Coins
- American Eagle Gold Proof Coins
- American Eagle Gold Uncirculated Coins
- American Eagle Platinum Proof Coins
- American Eagle Platinum Uncirculated Coins
- First Spouse (with the exception of the already lower priced Dolly Madison versions)
The service reps did not know whether prices would be adjusted higher or lower, but common sense suggests price reductions to better match the declining precious metal’s market.
The CoinNews collector tool page U.S. Mint Collector Bullion Coin Prices, Premiums and Sales Figures shows coin prices that are above Wednesday’s bullion values by 32 percent to 55 percent.
*Editors note: For an update on the this story and the new prices, follow Gold and Platinum Coin Sales Resume: Latest US Mint Prices & Sales Figures.