Vicksburg National Military Park Silver Uncirculated Coin

in 2011 National Park Coins

The fourth of five 2011-dated collector five ounce strikes in a series of coins from the United States Mint will be the Vicksburg National Military Park Silver Uncirculated Coin. This issue honors Vicksburg National Military Park in Mississippi.

Vicksburg National Military Park Silver Uncirculated Coin

The Vicksburg National Military Park Silver Uncirculated Coin features the same designs as the circulating quarter version, shown above.

Coins in this series are struck as the collector grade versions of the Mint’s program America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins, and as such, they feature a composition of five ounces of .999 fine silver. However, as bullion coins are struck for investors, each numismatic uncirculated coin is produced for collectors. They are are minted in uncirculated condition and contain a ‘P’ mintmark indicating they were produced at the US Mint’s facility in Philadelphia. The bullion coins have a bullion finish and contain no mintmark.

Both silver coins are struck in the likeness of the Mint’s America the Beautiful Quarters® Program, and thus honor selected sites of national interest from around the United States. One site was chosen from each state, the District of Columbia and the five US territories, for a total of fifty-six locations to be honored.

A portrait of George Washington is surrounded by the inscriptions of UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST and QUARTER DOLLAR on the obverse of the silver uncirculated coin. The image of the first President of the United States was designed by John Flanagan.

AIP Master Designer Thomas Cleveland designed the reverse of the Vicksburg Coin which was sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Joseph Menna. It shows an image of the restored U.S.S. Cairo, a Civil War era gunboat that was restored and is on display at the national military park. Also shown are the inscriptions of VICKSBURG, MISSISSIPPI, 2011 and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

Vicksburg National Military Park in Mississippi

Vicksburg National Military Park was created to commemorate the 47-day Battle of Vicksburg of the American Civil War which was waged from May 18 to July 4, 1863, as well as the greater Vicksburg Campaign which led up to it. The city of Vicksburg was seen as a vital linchpin in the logistics of the Civil War as it controlled a commanding position of the shipping on the Mississippi River. It’s loss to Union forces after the battle was seen as part of the beginning of the end of the Confederate States of America.

The military park today consists of 1,852.75 acres and was originally established on February 21, 1899 by the War Department. Its ownership was transferred to the National Park Service in 1933 who now maintains the 1,325 historic monuments and markers found there.

Previous post:

Next post: