2018 Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coin Images Unveiled

by Mike Unser on February 16, 2018 · 65 comments

The United States Mint this week published images of the upcoming clad, silver and pink gold Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coins.

2018 Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coins

Images of 2018 Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coins

Launching on March 15 at introductory prices ranging from $25.95 to about $430, the commemoratives are minted in collector qualities of proof and uncirculated with each sharing the same Emily Damstra created designs.

Obverses depict a butterfly, an older woman with her hands on her chest and a relieved expression on her face, and a younger woman wearing a scarf on her head with one hand over her chest and her other hand raised in a fist as if she is ready to fight. Reverses show a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly in flight, a symbol of hope.

As mandated by their authorizing law (Public Law 114-148), surcharges of $35 per gold coin, $10 per silver dollar and $5 per clad half-dollar are included in each price. As long as the coins turn a profit, the collected surcharges will be paid to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (www.bcrfcure.org) to further its efforts in breast cancer research.

Below are larger images of the commemorative coins.

$5 Gold Coins

Pink-hued gold coins are a first for the U.S. Mint. They are composed in 85% gold, 14.8% copper, and 0.2% zinc. 50,000 are authorized across all options.

2018-W $5 Proof Breast Cancer Awareness Gold Coin

2018-W $5 Proof Breast Cancer Awareness Gold Coin

2018-W $5 Uncirculated Breast Cancer Awareness Gold Coin

2018-W $5 Uncirculated Breast Cancer Awareness Gold Coin

Silver Dollars

Each silver dollar is minted in 90% silver and 10% copper. The silver dollars are limited to a mintage of 400,000.

2018-P Proof Breast Cancer Awareness Silver Dollar

2018-P Proof Breast Cancer Awareness Silver Dollar

2018-P Uncirculated Breast Cancer Awareness Silver Dollar

2018-P Uncirculated Breast Cancer Awareness Silver Dollar

Clad Half Dollars

Commemorative clad half-dollars are struck in 8.33% nickel with the remaining balance copper. Up to 750,000 may be sold.

2018-S Proof Breast Cancer Awareness Half-Dollar

2018-S Proof Breast Cancer Awareness Half-Dollar

2018-D Uncirculated Breast Cancer Awareness Half-Dollar

2018-D Uncirculated Breast Cancer Awareness Half-Dollar

Phebe Hemphill sculpted the obverse design while Renata Gordon sculpted the reverse design.

When released, the coins will be available at catalog.usmint.gov.

Joe Brown February 20, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Seth!*dude – my* add- got the best of me, no *evenlynn*wood here!i* plus it slip* my mind! i* do ”think” with my mind* just like with everybody! who*s out there*smile*, i remember-that label, was it not! hand singed* by some one* nice? Well! what i say could even be better* $*& we all could a little fun* for the best* of the many good crossis*+* out there*, for grins* anyway.

Seth Riesling February 20, 2018 at 5:32 pm

Joe Brown –

Good idea about a special butterfly label! Maybe with a pretty pink butterfly & of course a pink ribbon that is a symbol of breast cancer awareness & charities that raise money for such a great cause. I just hope the grading services make another big donation to the cause & even though I don’t usually pay any extra for a “special” label, I certainly would in this case!

Happy collecting Joe Brown!

Joe Brown February 20, 2018 at 6:41 pm

inO*YAH! main ingredint with rest of the rainbow* & like i said no-extra charge$, same as the basic label! for-first*release, first*strikes,first*5000. sky limit* & maybe some spacial* nurse*doctor, who help* with the butterfly*girls*. They can handle*it, i, would hope* they would sellout* in a few or some more months*, o’well!>but pink* the them*collar*s, one of my zodac*collars! i* mean i been this site for some years now! when i first stared using this busted up machine! i got the basic down! anyhow, would be nice for a change maybe.

Mouse February 20, 2018 at 6:45 pm

I am in full agreement with you all. If the grading companies were willing to produce a butterfly label with proceeds going to this charity / and I mean actually going to this charity and not administration fees, I would buy it in a heat beat. Its not anything close to an investment coin but beautiful design, beautiful cause, label that would help the cause = all good and a great buy in my books.

Joe Brown February 20, 2018 at 6:51 pm

butterfly*nurse*or doctor* hand sign some! +++++*the ones who suffer the cancer to victory*, and some day always* to lymaeight* it out of here for good*.

Old Collector February 20, 2018 at 8:04 pm

50,000 – 85% gold fives
400,000 – 90% silver dollars
750,000 – clad half dollars

Apparently the good stuff is readily available among the gummint employees in D.C., because whoever came up with these numbers just has to be smoking it.

Joe Brown February 20, 2018 at 9:36 pm

spark* it* up*! & pass the good*smoke around my bud*s,smile*

Old Collector February 21, 2018 at 8:59 am

Joe Brown,
Been twenty-nine years, four months and eleven days since my last bud (grown) and my last Bud (brewed), so I will just pass a big smile around instead. 🙂

Joe Brown February 21, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Old Collector – Stay clean! been free of old friend *Bud*W* & old pal, *Jim*B*, since year which ends in 0*s, clear head of pain of body* that suffers me*. only if then the good*bud is free to me, i*ll just walk in pain with my bumps & brews’s & work my self out, may*b someday body pain*free* i*ll sea! clean-people free of body pain ”bad” idea, very thin line *i walk 1-day-at-a-time, i do my best to read my 12 step 7 walk*it,smile*always a work in progress! that’s not going to change* but for now,smoke free than chew booze for body pain, peace*

Old Collector February 21, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Joe Brown,
Clean is the only way I’m keeping my human machine, body and mind. Never had a clearer head in my life than I do now; am able to think thoughts, have illuminations and experience epiphanies the likes of which I never even imagined before.

Joe Brown February 21, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Old Collector – The *master of my mind*, is* clear! and straight forward,since 2000*, but my physical-body-pain-*i-suffer! from body-injury-is-not,badly hurt at work! i* rather, since its legal, but not free, smoke free weed! than chew a pill for physical pain, i* badly suffer from, day in day out! with out a dowout!! i* would do nether, which is! sometime smoke, if its free to me*, the good*bud*weed, than chew the booze of a pain-pill, which is not-good for my system of physical body! I don*t smoke it, for the pains of my*life! there’s no need to smoke the free weed, only! for real pain of body parts, b*leave!me! i* have a very hi threshold! for my physical pain! and i* can! deal! always! with the pains in the ass! of my life! with no free-free-weed! but the more i* physically* work out to get tough* of body* the way i* once was! not that long ago*, and i*m getting there*! to be pain-free*, i* hope u* know what i* mean*. The *Mater of my *mind*+* is clear*! weed don*t do that to me* i* know* whats real*& not———real! not*ko!ko! here* just*+*nuts*as always* i* tend to KEEP!!!! it that way*, i* know! who’s koo!kooo! and right from wrong—–*and all* that*s good* no?* here* i* seen them >ALL< ant no*fool*here*, just*a good Bud*Man*+*.smile*

Old Collector February 22, 2018 at 11:51 pm

Joe Brown,
The really big pain is the one in our own head that won’t stop telling us that somehow or other because we’re just not good or capable or smart enough we will forever fark up each and everything we ever touch, whether with our words or hands or intentions. If that persistently debilitating little demon could be silenced….

Brian Miller March 1, 2018 at 9:23 am

All I see is children commenting on this page. Stay classy.

Joe Brown March 2, 2018 at 11:06 pm

Brian Miller – Welcome ! i* sea your a day late! And a dollar shot, on this page! Well! Now, i*m also! U!Know, what! i* pretty* much can bet my life on you! that no-one-going to change there *class*ranking* cause >uu*people*for being free!*smile*, & i* thank*god! the $bill$ is paid, so i* can pond on this *peace of crap-machine:! But! Mr. Miller, sent,s its free to speak*here. W*A*M! where was i*, Boy!!! i* lost my*masters*+*mind*, for a moment, so-sorry, are! >uuu<, have power, so! to lose my*masters*+*mind*or*my*mind*!!! *Of,coarse not!, its free press*time! Jump on it! May*just*me! But i*sea!* *I*aboutalways have! >troublewith-that–>type<— of- junior!<classi*m still a kid*,*smile*, by all means, if >uthinkcan-hold-still-our!*lower*class, right*here! at school*of*coin*news, go for it! *God*+*knows *i been branded in this court a few-times!, & i* do wander! No ? about that, but i* did make a promise!, promise is promise! *I* Promised*my*nut*+*brother* to spread* the *good*words! Were >U< here for the elections*! Now, that was a good*class*laugh!*. Don't B afraid to wander from the good*talk of coins, just as long as its,, *b*t*w*- my*mom*always said classy* & *dad*always said class,**funny! so i* look at those 2 words,like!~ classy~ a lady*word & class* a *man*word. There,';s a hand full of those, *girl~ & *boy + words in *my*old,* English*Child*Book*! that i* never got around to bring back to my! *Good*public*PARKER*,grade*school!, more tan likely, i* hardly-never brought back my home*work, with that book, & some others! :;""sea*Jane*Run*book, the whole 1/2*block walk to *Frank*y *Parker*school* of which *i* was voted the whole*school*President*! k*throw*6! by all my *pears, from 3rd to 6th*grade, when it came all down a real*smart & great*kid & i*! All we had to do,was vote* for anyone who was in the 2 6th*grade*classes, talk about not having a *clue! Won*hands*down!No 2nd* count. Our*good*principal said! & i don*t recall ever to here those two words* said to me*since, that 1 fine*day*smile*, *i* of *Great**Characteristics, as they handed me! A big gold*cardboard key*! Later at dinner, my *dad asked whats with the gold key! So when i* finished with those two last words! Well i guess i* patted my back to much! i'll just say!, After i put down *moms brashawl*steak, cover,d with lingueenny! because, one of the two, mom* or dad*was going to wear* it, i was willing to, hypothesis! i* just didn't give one!, if they would stop the hysterics! my mom did both, laugh & cry her fanny off! just their way to tech*me to be humble. *boy i* ate like an *Italian*Prince, back then! & it was free!, now eat, my fluff ah nutter* with the last two heals of steal breed, with my nut*+*-bother!, i* am a fool*!

Joe Brown March 5, 2018 at 12:21 pm

no-class!, to comeback, one-night,er, i*ll b waiting! even*outside*my*doors!smile*.