2017-S Proof American Silver Eagle Commanding Price Premiums (Photos)

by Mike Unser on May 15, 2017 · 18 comments

Six weeks after its release, the San Francisco Mint’s proof American Silver Eagle is drawing from nearly triple to more than quadruple its issue price.

2017-S Proof American Silver Eagle - Obverse and Reverse, a

This CoinNews photo shows the obverse and reverse of a 2017-S Proof American Silver Eagle

Limited to 75,000 in its initial release within the 2017 Congratulations Set ($54.95), which sold out within minutes of its April 4 launch, the next chance at another one from the United States Mint is sometime later this year as a part of the 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set. How many and when this set becomes available are unknowns. Last year’s limited edition set was restricted to 50,000 units.

2017 Congratulations Sets include a San Francisco Mint proof Silver Eagle

The coin’s storyline is supporting some bullish appetites. Secondary market prices are ranging from about $140-$150 for an original 2017 Congratulations Set to about $220-$245 for a 2017-S Proof Silver Eagle graded 70. In between are 69s moving for about $130 to $145.

2017-S Proof American Silver Eagle Encapsulated in 2017 Congratulations Set

This close-up shows the Silver Eagle encapsulated within the packaging of a 2017 Congratulations Set

In contrast, prices for a standard West Point 2017-W Proof Silver Eagle span from its issue price of $53.95 to graded 70s for $80-$85. The U.S. Mint sold 250,850 through the first week of May.

2017 Proof American Silver Eagle

This CoinNews photo shows the obverse and reverse side of a standard 2017-W Proof American Silver Eagle

The only visual difference between the standard and the more limited Silver Eagle are mintmarks of either ‘W’ or ‘S’.

Finally, below are a few more CoinNews photos of S-Mint American Silver Eagles.

2017-S Proof American Silver Eagle - Obverse and Reverse

Another CoinNews photo showing the obverse and reverse of a 2017-S Proof American Silver Eagle

2017-S Proof American Silver Eagle - Obverse, a

A larger view of an obverse

2017-S Proof American Silver Eagle - Reverse, a

A larger view of a reverse

2017-S Proof American Silver Eagle - Obverse

One more view of an obverse

2017-S Proof American Silver Eagle - Reverse

One more view of a reverse

Nels May 15, 2017 at 10:38 am

For that price I will just have to go w/o…

Kou May 15, 2017 at 11:18 am

I might be mistaken but I think the “S” will also be available in another product offering this year. Last I heard mintage #s haven’t been announced.

lonnie May 15, 2017 at 11:49 am

the 2017 s will be the second lowest mintage of the proof silver eagles. only the 1995 proof has a lower mintage with approximately 30,000. the 1995 sells for between $2,500 and $3,500 today, it has been higher in the past. this makes me think in a few years the 2017 s will be selling for up $1,000. i think one purchased in the original gov. package at $140 will be a great investment.

RODNEY MOORE May 15, 2017 at 12:51 pm

I know I called the mint at precisely 12:00:01 and by the time I had verified my account it was 12:01 and she said it was on back order and did i still want one? I immediately said yes and by that time she said “I’m sorry, Sir, but it is now unavailable”. That was at 12:02 and some seconds.
I’m really irate at the lack of household minimums and I heard that one person asked the mint operator what was the biggest order she had and that he was told that one person ordered 25,000 coins. That same day less than 4 hours later there was people asking $300 for the coin and the next day the big companies like MCM had listings for them on ebay for that amount.
I’m really mad about it being impossible for the average collector to get one from the mint but the big dealers have thousands.
A few weeks after this happened, “Coin Advisor” a seller I had bought from on ebay gave me a telemarketing call. I was actually going to see what they had for sale and the first thing he mentioned was this 2017-S eagle. I immediately said “NO WAY!!” and he said, “what, you’re just not interested?” and then I told him that I was very interested in having one but there was no way in **** that I was going to buy one from a large coin dealer and hung up. I have not bought an American coin since the mint pulled that trick. I HAVE spent about two thousand dollars on foreign coins since then though, ordering some from the UK’s ROYAL MINT , and some from sellers on ebay.
The US Mint is in a sad state of affairs.

yorbasasa May 15, 2017 at 12:52 pm

It is still cheap on total value . 30,000 x $3500 =105 M
This year 75000 x $140 =$10.5M
Compare the total value of the coin ,this year S silver eagle proof coin is best bet and best price .

Edward May 15, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Silver price is less than $17 per oz and why anyone want to pay over $100 for this coin.

Nels May 15, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Rodney Moore, good for you! I wish that they would get stuck with them all! That was so very wrong for the Mint to sell out like that! Being a coin as it was, it should have been 1 or 2 coins per house untill everyone had a chance to get one. I also have been looking elsewhere for coins other then the USA MINT and I find eBay to be too expensive as well for this coin and another silver coins that I didn’t get a chance to buy. Thank You for your message. Some may call it making a profit. I call that greedy greedy!!! They are asking way to much money for them compared to what they bought them for!

Craig May 15, 2017 at 2:30 pm

I’m sorry, but in my mind, the concept of putting a Silver Eagle in a packaging that says “Congratulations”, and is marketed by the US Mint as something to give to someone as a gift, would mean that you want the public to be able to buy this product any time during the year — so you can indeed gift it. For this item to sell out in 2 minutes, goes against the concept of this product entirely.

drew scott May 15, 2017 at 2:31 pm

I was able to get 10 from the mint and flipped them on ebay for $1250 a week later. Not a ginormous sum, but I’m still happy and will gladly buy more from the mint if I see the same opportunity.

RODNEY MOORE May 15, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Drew, What you said doesn’t make me mad. For one, you got ten instead of a hundred or a thousand. Plus, it seems like you doubled your money, a nice fat profit but still reasonable. Asking six times the amount is not reasonable. When I looked on ebay that day and the next, there was no one that wasn’t asking 4 to 6 times what they paid for the coin and so I just quit looking after that.
What is bad about the situation for me is that it is going to cut two ways. The second way is that the coin is going to also appear in the Limited Edition set which will probably go the same route and sell out immediately.
I had last year decided to start buying the limited edition set every year. I mainly collect Kennedy halves (as you can probably tell by my Icon) and to a lessor extent Silver Eagles. I didn’t want to buy the Silver proof set just to get the Kennedy half so I decided that by buying the Limited Edition set that I could get the silver Kennedy and also the Silver eagle. I’d be paying a premium but would be “stuck” with less unwanted coins that way.
But now I there’s a good chance I won’t be able to get the Limited Edition set because it will likely sell out this year because of the inclusion of the 17S Eagle.
I’ll be honest that the situation almost made me decide to stop collecting coins if there is little chance of being able to purchase from the mint. That has a lot to do with why I have only been buying foreign silver since the 2017-S Eagle sold out the way it did.
Someone mentioned the 1995 S eagle selling at $2500 to $3K but I don’t think it will be a comparable situation because the 95 had a mintage of 30,000 and the 2017 S will probably have a mintage of 125,000 if not more. My math is 75,000 congrats set, plus 50,000 in the Limited Edition = 125,000. 125,000 is a heck of a lot more than 30,000 so I don’t think the coin values will be in any way similar or comparable.
Plus, the mint could have a higher product limit on the limited edition set, or, they could come out with a special 2 or 3 coin set for the anniversary and that would raise the mintage above 125,000.
That would be kind of funny to see the coin devalued like that except it would hurt the collectors that bought them and not the big dealers that bought hundreds and thousands and have already made their fat profit.
And in closing, just like my prior comment, the US Mint is in a sad state of affairs. Anyone looked a their product schedule lately? As of just a few minutes ago, their product schedule for the year only covers the next TWO DAYS! Yup, that is how far their schedule extends, May 17 and it is already May 15.

TL May 15, 2017 at 3:54 pm

I wonder why no one complains that the US Mint exclusively sells American Silver Eagles, the ones without mint marks, only to wealthy dealers so those chosen dealers can profit immediately from flipping the coins? The Mint could probably have done the same with proofs or any other product. Perhaps in the future the public may be forced to yield to the flippers for all Mint products. The Mint could cut a lot of employees and expense.

John K. May 15, 2017 at 4:54 pm

The mint putting another nail in the coffin of coin collecting

Tinto May 16, 2017 at 12:33 am

@John K.
“The mint putting another nail in the coffin of coin collecting.”

They lost me a while back .. the only thing I am looking for this year is the NA $1 C&C set just so I can continue that one .. at least it’s cheap with an ever changing reverse and an enhanced unc finish …. the only thing I am anticipating getting from the Mint is the Moon landing commemorative and probably only the silver $1 … was thinking of the 5 oz puck but I read somewhere that the surcharge on that is gonna be even higher than the gold so no go here.

Tinto May 16, 2017 at 12:38 am

@RODNEY MOORE

I guess the Mint must have heard ya … they just updated their schedule to include June

joera May 16, 2017 at 3:53 am

The 2017 S Eagle WILL GO DOWN IN VALUE!!! You can bet on that. Once the 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set comes out the total mintage of the “S” Silver Proof Eagle will double what it is now or more. It might take a year but it will go down in value and people will wish they hadn’t bought the thing in the second market. If you did happen to get it directly from the Mint then that will be a great buy. My wish is that everyone who wants one will be able to get it in the Limited Edition Silver Proof Set. But we all know that will not happen especially if the Mint does not put a house hold limit on Limited Edition Set. Good luck to everyone the next go around.
And by the way, this is only my opinion on this matter and I could be totally wrong, which has happen before.

Chas Barber May 16, 2017 at 2:53 pm

RODNEY, right on brother, I was shut out @ 9:01 am…really MINT…don’t care I have no hole to fill so I say ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz to the 2017 S Proof, ASE….. JOERA not sure if the legs get stronger or weaker on this one….the force is not so stronmg in it but MCM & MIke they control a slug of the market…THANKS FOR THINKING OF US, your customer base…we unlike someone else base, are not mere lemmings, caring not what schnangans ya’ll pull……

Nels May 16, 2017 at 10:44 pm

TL, the no mint mark American Silver Eagles are sold for silver value. Millions are made and resold for a few dollars above spot price is the difference

T May 18, 2017 at 10:34 pm

If I bought most of a single coin offering and then destroyed 99% of them would I then be able to charge a ridiculous amount for these coins?! Lol. This could be a new angle for coin flippers, apologies, I meant avid coin collectors.

T