2017 American Liberty 225th Anniversary Gold Coin Design Unveiling on Jan. 12

by CoinNews.net on December 30, 2016 · 70 comments

On Jan. 12, 2017, the United States Mint will kick off a year-long series of anniversary events by unveiling designs for the high-relief 2017 American Liberty Gold Coin.

Recommended designs for the 2017-W $100 American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin

CFA and CCAC design recommendations for the 2017 American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin. On Jan. 12, the U.S. Mint will reveal whether these designs were adopted for the coin.

The .9999 fine gold coin and companion a .999 fine silver medal(s) will be issued next year as part of the U.S. Mint’s celebration of its 225th anniversary. The government agency was established by the Coinage Act of April, 2 1792. The gold piece is scheduled to launch sometime in the spring. The silver medal(s) should follow by summer.

In March, candidate designs for the coin and medal were reviewed by the Commission of Fine Arts and the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee. They recommended a dual-dated obverse (heads side) that features a profile of Liberty wearing a crown of stars, a nod to the Statue of Freedom atop the U. S. Capitol. Inscriptions will include LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST, 1792, and 2017. The silver medal should have the dates 1792 and 2017, with the optional inscription of LIBERTY.

Their recommended reverse design depicts an American eagle. Expected inscriptions for the gold coin include UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, E PLURIBUS UNUM, 100 DOLLARS, and 1OZ. .9999 FINE GOLD. Medal inscriptions may be limited to UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and a mint mark.

Also, the gold coin’s edge is likely to be smooth with lettering stating: 225th ANNIVERSARY.

The invitation-only event begins at 1 p.m. Eastern Time at the Department of the Treasury Cash Room in Washington, D.C. Attending officials will include Jacob Lew, Secretary of the Treasury; Sarah Bloom Raskin, Deputy Secretary of the Treasury; and Rhett Jeppson, United States Mint Principal Deputy Director.

SalivateMetal January 4, 2017 at 9:47 am

I too don’t mind the diversity of Lady Liberty on our coins. A black lady is fitting as freedom was a harder fight for her. I applaud the choice of Harriet Tubman on our $20. Long overdue IMO. What I don’t like is the motivation (political correctness) behind such a choice in many cases, which is why so many are suspect of the appearance of Lady Liberty on this coin. She looks like an angry militant black woman with dreadlocks. It is a poor representation of Liberty. She looks more enslaved than free. It’ll be interesting to see how this design looks when finished. Remove the dreadlocks and put a content look on her countenance and it’ll be good to . BTW, Those who accuse of racism so half heatedly because some of us are critical of this design or call our president-elect a racist engage in the most offensive form of xenophobia.

Danny Morano January 4, 2017 at 10:14 am

Mr.Metal,
I can’t wait to see what One Thin Dime has to say about your comment.
Seth I know this blog is supposed to be about coins. Well, it seems this coin has stirred up a S___Storm. It’s apparent that collectors are not ready to accept it. At least not in it’s current design. It definitely needs redesign. Seth, you have my utmost respect. All the best.
Regards, DrWho7

Danny Morano January 4, 2017 at 10:58 am

One fine dime,
How soon you forget. It was your remark ” No more Dead White Presidents on our money” that insulted me. You forgot one Dead White President, who in the 60’s signed the most important and significant civil rights legislation into law since President Lincoln ‘s Emancipation Proclimation. It was President Johnson who at the White House with Dr. Martin Luther King standing next to him watching and when he finished, handed him the pen and shook his hand. President Johnson was so worried that people would only remember him for escalating the Vietnam War and not his Civil Rights reforms. I guess he was right. All he’s on is a coin and chronicles set. How about President Harry Truman who desegrated the Armed Forces? What curraincy is he on?
Seth, out of respect for you, I end this. One Fine Dime and others say what you will. I am done and apparently not alone.
Respectfully, DrWho7

Hewhodontknow January 4, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Amen to that.. Happy collecting to all!

Hewhodontknow January 4, 2017 at 2:01 pm

@metal,
Yes, the president elect is not racist and I am wrong about that but you nailed it and you’re so right cause “xenophobia” is the perfect to describe his comments about others such as Mexicans,Muslims and blacks. Thank you 🙂

CoinCense January 12, 2017 at 12:25 pm

This design makes no sense to me. If anything, it’s appearance is divisive. What are we coming to?

Rooster January 12, 2017 at 12:29 pm

They are about to go live streaming about this coin on the US Mints web page if you are interested. Wish I could but hoping to see a replay later.

Danny Morano January 12, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Just watched the unveiling. No surprise there. This specific coin will be talked about for a long time. As for me, my Mother always said “If you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything “. This will be my one and only comment other than I do like the obverse side. The front, “No Comment”. Collectors, I yield the floor to ya’ll.
Regards, DrWho7

Danny Morano January 12, 2017 at 1:09 pm

NO COMMENT!
DrWho7

Poor Richard January 12, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Absolutely not a fan of the design…nothing racial involved. If it were someone who really embodied liberty, let’s say MLK Jr. for example, who stood for racial equality and religious liberty, then I would have no qualms. The obverse seems to me to be just an attempt to put an African-American face on money, and label it “Liberty”. Seems a bit more than political to me.

Sorry if that doesn’t settle well, but that is exactly how it appears.

Further, as a numismatist, a coin’s intrinsic beauty is a factor in my decision as to whether to purchase it or not.

I’d much rather have the Native American/Buffalo as a 1 oz gold coin than this hackneyed attempt at racial appeasement.

Jason Bourne January 12, 2017 at 1:17 pm

I am not a big fan of this coin design. I am a firm believer in diversity on all levels of society. So, I am really disappointed at this poorly created design. If they could only make the stars a little BIGGER, and the angry Liberty lady a little ANGRIER, and the braids that already stand out a little MORE OBVIOUS by making them LONGER…..the U.S. Mint has lost some of its luster on this abomination. I am going to pass on this coin. Good luck to the few who will actually shell out a major premium that will be commanded for the purchase of this coin from the U.S. to cover their operating costs. Buy straight gold bullion and save the premium.

Jason Bourne January 12, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Not purchasing this coin.

Danny Morano January 12, 2017 at 1:23 pm

I will be buying more Foreign coin from now on.
DrWho7

one fine dime January 12, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Hilarious Danny Morano doesn’t know his obverse from his reverse.

“my one and only comment”?! too late for that Danny

here’s a comment for ya: follow your mama’s advice.

“A bit more than political”??!! I guess by that logic, all the anglo looking representations of liberty from American numismatics must be political as well, huh? Attempts to ensure european-american representations are on our money? what a joke. We are One Human Family. You all will probably be dead in your graves and never truly realize that. It doesn’t actually matter what “liberty” looks like, she’s symbolic, she’s an allegorical representation. So if the representation is going to be of a woman, let’s change it up once in a while. After all, our one authentic motto is: E PLURIBUS UNUM! We are a nation of immigrants, from all corners of the world, some here by choice others by coercion. You all can’t actually wrap your wee bitty brains around the concept of celebrating diversity.

Here’s a comment: If you don’t like diversity, GO BACK TO EUROPE!!!

Poor Richard January 12, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Guys, don’t feed the troll.

Sad Day for 1st Americans January 12, 2017 at 4:09 pm

I have to say is that if they tend to forget how the Native American Indians helped to fight the save the country during revolution. Sad day. Notice how the people in charge get to choose not the public. They one coin.. and seems to be on more and more… When be extinct…like the rest of species that tend for the good.

George Kalas January 13, 2017 at 6:18 pm

This is, hands down, the ugliest, most repulsive, and hideous image of a female ever placed on U.S. coinage….deposing the previous record holder….the Susan B. Anthony dollar. If the mint wanted to get all “ethnic” with Lady Liberty couldn’t they at least given us an image of a physically attractive black woman instead of this crackhead wench? Ugh!!! I’ll pass on this coin and so will 99.9% of all collectors. I predict that this coin is destined to become a great rarity….perhaps as rare as 1964 Peace Dollars…and for the same reason….they all ended up being melted down….as will this coin when the mint fails to sell many of them.

Nels January 13, 2017 at 7:43 pm

everyone will be buying them thinking the mint won’t sell many coins and there’s is going so rare and worth so much more! Lol

meddle January 16, 2017 at 6:20 pm

Not a fan of this design. I have moved on from most American coins. Better value elsewhere for my money. IMHO

thomas rhodeman February 15, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Give it a break. Have you seen the Lady Liberty on the platinum coins or even the statue itself. These female figures are androgenized beyond belief and look as if they’re ready to tussle at a moments notice. If you believe in the statue’s motto then we are a culture of different backgrounds and elements. In the past we have been fed an europeanized version of coins and culture. Now we have a different reflection of a group who is no less important in any respect in our nations history than any one else. Get over it. Get some class and buy the coin.