The U.S. Mint at noon ET today, Oct. 11, releases the much-anticipated 2016 Ronald Reagan Coin & Chronicles Set. Honoring the 40th President of the United States with an engraving, medal and coins featuring Reagan, this set serves as the last issue in its series.
Pricing at $68.95 is more than past sets, owing mostly to the inclusion of a higher priced coin. Unlike prior sets, this one doesn’t include a silver medal. However, and also unlike them, it has a proof Silver Eagle that sells by itself for $53.95. The Liberty Coin Act explains its presence in the set. The act authorized the series of American Silver Eagles and Reagan signed it into law on July 9, 1985. Of note, this year’s proof Silver Eagle sports edge lettering of "30th ANNIVERSARY."
2016 Ronald Reagan Coin & Chronicles Sets contain the following collectibles:
- One 2016 Reverse Proof Reagan Presidential $1 Coin with a ‘S’ mint mark.
- One 30th Anniversary 2016 Proof American Silver Eagle with a ‘W’ mint mark.
- One Ronald and Nancy Reagan 1 1/2-inch Bronze Congressional Medal.
- One authentic engraved Ronald Reagan Presidential portrait produced by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
- One booklet including images from Reagan’s life and presidency.
Adding to its appeal, the reverse proof is exclusive to the set. Many coin collectors will buy the set just to get the dollar.
The United States Mint’s online product page for the set is right here. Place phone orders using 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). No more than 150,000 will be sold, with ordering limited to three per household.
All items are displayed in a soft-touch blue folder and accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity.
Update: First-day sales reached 21,511 sets.