US Mint Online Series Chronicles the Life of Ronald Reagan

by Mike Unser on June 24, 2016 · 18 comments

The U.S. Mint has unveiled Part I of a four-part online series chronicling the life, legacy and influence of Ronald Reagan, the 40th President of the United States.

US Mint and Reagan Series

This image shows a screenshot of the U.S. Mint website where a new documentary-like series talks about the life and legacy of Ronald Reagan.

Part I explores Reagan’s early family life, recounting his childhood in northern Illinois, his school years, and his early jobs during the Great Depression.

Forthcoming series will discuss Reagan’s:

• FILM & TELEVISION CAREER,
  • CALIFORNIA POLITICS & PRESIDENCY RACE, and
  • PRESIDENCY & LATER LIFE.

In 2014, the U.S. Mint ran a similar series chronicling the life of John F. Kennedy and the half-dollar coin that honors him. That year, the U.S. Mint issued special 50th anniversary coin products to include a dual-dated proof 50c gold piece and unique silver half-dollars.

This year, on July 1, the U.S. Mint will begin to sell collector coins featuring Ronald and Nancy Reagan. Product options include 2016 Ronald Reagan Presidential $1 Coins in circulating quality and 2016 $10 Nancy Reagan First Spouse Gold Coins in qualities of proof and uncirculated. They are the last issues from the 10-year series of Presidential $1 Coins and First Spouse Gold Coins.

Later in the year, the U.S. Mint will introduce the highly anticipated 2016 Ronald Reagan Coin & Chronicles Set. The Mint already released several 2016-dated products that include Reagan dollars, like those in the annual mint, proof and silver sets. Look for those at catalog.usmint.gov.

joe#2 June 24, 2016 at 9:27 am

Go RONNIE… We miss you like crazy…

Richard June 24, 2016 at 10:50 am

Go far, far away. And stay there.

joe#2 June 24, 2016 at 11:29 am

Ritchie.. He was the greatest president.

vadim June 24, 2016 at 12:17 pm

One of the best if not the best!

Seth Riesling June 24, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Richard –

“Ronnie” is far, far away – in Heaven or Never Never Land with his boss Nancy now! One of the best testaments to true Love they were as a couple! Do you think they are discussing the Trump mess?! May they R.I.P.

-NumisDudeTX

joe#2 June 24, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Amen Seth

Seth Riesling June 24, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Mike Unser –

The 2014 gold Kennedy half dollar was not a reverse Proof coin as you stated. It was a regular Proof gold coin – the one that never reached a total sellout of the 75,000 mintage.

-NumisDudeTX

Seth Riesling June 24, 2016 at 3:28 pm

joe#2 –

President Ronald Wilson Reagan was a true gentleman – a rare thing to find today! I had my problems with him on the AIDS crisis issues, but he evolved on that & did what he could. As a “Reagan Democrat” I admired him from his early days as a Democrat & President of a large Union – the Screen Actors Guild. I still disagree on trickle-down economics in part, but we had it good in the 80s for the most part.
Reagan kept a secret personal checkbook in his Oval Office desk that only his secretary knew about as she typed his letters to people who wrote him with their hardships & he wrote many checks to those who were truly in need. He never let Nancy know till they left office. That was probably the only thing he ever keep from her. What a kind man!

-NumisDudeTX

joe#2 June 24, 2016 at 3:59 pm

True Seth… The Kennedy’s ( even with Kennedy’s little “flings” and more i’m sure.) and the Reagan’s…2 Camelots

chuck June 24, 2016 at 4:10 pm

He unified. He did not always bash/ blame others. At least, he insured there was a “trickle-down” and did not just line the pockets of the elite.

Christopher Williams June 24, 2016 at 4:23 pm

I love history and when I mention Ronald Reagan, I always say “The man who resurrected the United States from the dead.”

Seth Riesling June 24, 2016 at 5:40 pm

chuck & Christopher WIlliams –

So true! Reagan’s optimism was infectious. 1980 was my first presidential election & I was so proud to be 18 & able to finally vote for the first time. He reminded me in some ways of my paternal grandfather – so wise as a school teacher & with a great faith-based lifestyle, although he was from rural Arkansas & had only been outside the US once to Mexico! I had already lived for 3 years in Japan & 3 years in Germany by Summer 1979. I realized that being from a “Hollywood,” background, Reagan had been immersed in many different cultures & that appealed to me. Nancy told him early on that she didn’t care if he stayed in acting or went into politics, but that he needed to decide quickly & that he was going to be successful with her help no matter what career he chose! Glad their coins are coming out soon.

-NumisDudeTX

Christopher Williams June 24, 2016 at 5:46 pm

After the Carter years, we desperately needed Ronald Reagan.

I remember Carter allowing the Iranian hostage crisis to hamstring his administration.

Christopher Williams June 24, 2016 at 5:48 pm

I apologize for getting “political” here.

Seth Riesling June 24, 2016 at 6:07 pm

Christopher WIlliams –

No need to apologize – numismatics has a major political component, from coinage legislation to design choices etc. The Mint is influenced heavily, of course by politics. It makes for good, civil political conversation for sure.

Happy collecting!

-NumisDudeTX

Christopher Williams June 24, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Thank you, Seth.

I appreciate that.

vadim June 24, 2016 at 10:14 pm

I wish the presidential coin looked a lot more like Reagan’s image shown above. They screwed this one for sure.

Tinto June 26, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Off topic

I got my NA C&C sets late last week. I ordered the HH max and the notes are from Atlanta .. 00011911A, 11912A, 11913A, 11914A and 11915A.. I took a quick look at the coins, one reverse seems milky and another had some small black debris right on the fields … I am not going to return them since the other 3 look acceptable …