Celebration Event for Richard and Pat Nixon Coins

by CoinNews.net on March 4, 2016 · 14 comments

Richard and Pat Nixon Coins

Richard and Pat Nixon Coins

In less than two weeks, on March 16, representatives from the Richard Nixon Foundation (nixonfoundation.org) and United States Mint will commemorate First Lady Pat Nixon’s 104th birthday and celebrate the release of coins featuring her and Mr. Nixon.

This event is free and open to the public, and will be held at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum in Yorba Linda, California. All entrance fees to the library and museum will be waved that day.

The U.S. Mint in February started rolling out collectible products featuring the former president and first lady. Major offerings include $1 coins bearing a portrait of Richard Nixon and .9999 fine $10 gold coins depicting Pat Nixon. As recently as Thursday, the Mint released a $1 coin and medal set honoring the couple.

Ceremony participants include U.S. Mint Chief Council Jean Gentry, Richard Nixon Foundation President Bill Baribault, and the former president’s brother, Edward Nixon.

The event’s location details follow:

Date: Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 10 a.m. (PT)
Time: 10:00 a.m. (CT)
Location:
Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum
18001 Yorba Linda Blvd.
Yorba Linda, CA 92886

This map shows the location of the library and museum:

For U.S. Mint products featuring Mr. and Mrs. Nixon, visit usmint.gov/catalog.

Seth Riesling March 4, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Happy 104th Birthday to:

First Lady Thelma Catherine (Ryan) Nixon (her legal name).

The U.S. Mint uses nicknames for some of the First Spouse $10 gold coin series for some strange reason. There goes historical accuracy!

-NumisDudeTX

Robert March 5, 2016 at 8:59 am

Not sure how using the former First Lady’s preferred name instead of her legal name can be construed as historically inaccurate. She preferred “Pat” – a name coined by her father when she was a child – or “Patricia” and began using them when she entered college in 1931. Her signature was always simply”Pat Nixon.” I think the Mint was wise to abide by her lifelong wish with respect to her name.

Seth Riesling March 5, 2016 at 10:12 am

Robert –

Thanks for your view. I know the history, but was just suggesting that it be all nicknames or all legal names for consistency. For example, most U.S. citizens do not even realize First Lady “Lady Bird” Johnson’s first name was Claudia. I met her twice here in Texas & when I asked her about the nickname she told me “Young man, you can’t fight a nickname in the Great State of Texas, you know!”

Happy collecting Robert!

-NumisDudeTX

Robert March 5, 2016 at 4:10 pm

The First Spouses appear to be listed by name in accordance to how they are listed in the majority of publications, to how most Americans are accustomed to identify them by name, and most likely by the name of their personal preference, given that many of them probably had no nickname. Still difficult to see any “inconsistency” here..

Seth Riesling March 5, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Robert, I won’t argue with you too much, (this is supposed to be a fun, stress-free numismatic hobby after all) except to say nicknames intermingled with legal names on this First Spouse coin series & the presidential $1 coin series is certainly inconsistent. William Jefferson Clinton as “Bill” on a legal tender USA coin & we wonder why kids do not get their history right. A study last year showed that given a globe & 3 minutes, 60% of high school seniors couldn’t locate the USA on the globe! Enough said.
Good luck in your collecting Sir.

-NumisDudeTX

Seth Riesling March 5, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I meant “Bill” Clinton on a future coin if Congress decides to continue this series some day in the future. I have 4 nephews who ask a lot of questions about my coins & it is sometimes strange to explain to them why things are one way with the U.S. Mint sometimes & another way other times. I want them to know the correct historical information plus the “street” smarts too.

Happy collecting Robert!

-NumisDudeTX

Robert March 6, 2016 at 8:03 am

The primary function of a coin’s design is to convey information. In the case of the First Spouse gold series, an individual’s portrait and name is paramount in identifying an individual. Much criticism has been made on the likenesses of the portraits of many of the presidents and their spouses, and rightly so, if this artwork falls short of an average viewer’s expectations. No criticism (until now) has been leveled at how these names are spelled out on the coin, although I can just imagine the howls of protests had the Mint inscribed the phrase, “Thelma Catherine Nixon,” above Pat Nixon’s portrait.

Or, perhaps someone’s real agenda here is taking friendly swipes at the U.S. Mint whenever he sees the opportunity. A quick check of your other posts on this site would seem to verify this conjecture, Seth.

Seth Riesling March 6, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Robert –

I simply call it like I see it as a numismatist of 40 years. I assure you I have no agenda against the U.S. Mint & have purchased directly from them every year since 1976 (coins & medals). I praise them when they do a great job & criticize them when I feel they missed the mark. You must have missed my most recent post here praising their “Mark Twain” coin designs, or should I say Samuel Langhorne Clemens commemorative coins!

Thanks for the tit for tat discussions Robert. Very stimulating Sir.

Happy U.S. Mint coin & medal collecting everyone!

-NumisDudeTX

Tinto March 7, 2016 at 12:58 am

For those interested, I just saw that the Mint has scheduled the gold Mercury Dime “tribute” to start selling on April 21 .. (I guess 12 noon .. )

Tinto March 7, 2016 at 1:06 am

And if it hasn’t been made known already, both proof and unc of the gold Mark Twains are back on sale .. I added one of each to my cart .. the backorder notice did not show

Robert March 7, 2016 at 6:28 am

Enjoyed our little debate, Seth.

Take care…

Seth Riesling March 7, 2016 at 9:46 am

Robert –

Likewise Sir –

I always love learning new things & views from other collectors & sharing what I know from my experiences. That type of exchange makes this coin blog website interesting.

Happy collecting Robert!

-NumisDudeTX

Whistler March 8, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I saw @ the Nixon launch they gave out free fake upper lip flop sweat to the kids!

Seth Riesling March 8, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Whistler –

That public event at the Nixon Library doesn’t take place till March 16. I wonder if they will tell the kids they give the free Nixon $1 coins to there that he was the only president to resign the office in USA history & the relevant circumstances behind his resignation & that his vice-president was only the second VP to resign the office in USA history (& the only one to do so under criminal indictment at that!)? Ouch!

-NumisDudeTX