50 Anniversary 2014 50c Kennedy Product Sales as of Nov. 9

by Mike Unser on November 11, 2014 · 32 comments

The United States Mint released new sales figures for its three 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar products featuring 7 coins in varying finishes and compositions.

2014-W Reverse Proof Kennedy Half-Dollar from Silver Coin Collection

Photo of 2014-W Reverse Proof Kennedy Half-Dollar from Silver Coin Collection

Orders slowed from a week earlier, expectantly so for the Kennedy silver coin collection as the days lengthen from its release on Oct. 28.

The two other anniversary products, out for much longer, enjoyed a bit of a sales resurgence because, in part, they were prominently featured in the Mint’s 2014 Fall Catalog which hit mailboxes about two weeks ago. Based on the latest figures, it looks like orders from the catalog peaked toward the end of October. In summary, here’s a table showing 50th Anniversary Kennedy product sales as of Nov. 9.

Old
Sales
Gains Latest
Sales
Product Limit
Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection 125,147 12,655 137,802 300,000
Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coin 66,054 493 66,547 None
Kennedy Half-Dollar Uncirculated Coin Set 141,808 4,414 146,222 200,000

Based on their limits, the silver coin collection is at 45.9% of maximum sales and the uncirculated coin set is at 73.1% of maximum sales.

Kennedy half-dollar products may be ordered online from the Mint here, or by calling 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).

Jp November 11, 2014 at 5:23 am

My money is still on not reaching the original 180K amount “ready” for the initial sale. We shall see. Is there any end date for selling all of these Kennedy coins?

Jack November 11, 2014 at 9:26 am

You nailed that one JP. I would think that the mint won’t produce these after December 31st. It is a very nice set!

G. Roberts November 11, 2014 at 9:38 am

Last week I received my 50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection Set. However, because of a defect on one of the coins, I decided to return that less than perfect set for replacement. On the enclosed packing slip I selected the option for its replacement. I returned it the next day. Two days later it arrived at the U.S. Mint facility in Memphis, TN. I contacted the U.S. Mint and was told to my surprise that product replacements or exchanges are no longer given despite those options being available on the packing slip. Only refunds are now given. Therefore in order to get a new set, a customer must submit a new order.

Eddie November 11, 2014 at 10:11 am

G Roberts,
Sorry, but what’s the difference?

G. Roberts November 11, 2014 at 10:20 am

On an original order from the U.S. Mint, it is the customer who pays the shipping charges. For product replacements from the U.S. Mint, it is the U.S. Mint who pays the shipping charges.

Eddie November 11, 2014 at 10:46 am

Thanks.
Not saying yours is the case, but maybe the Mint by making customers pay the extra $4.95 for a replacement, is trying to avoid the abuse of this free replacement service, after 2 weeks. Again, not saying yours is the case…

G. Roberts November 11, 2014 at 11:06 am

Another consequence of no more replacements or exchanges from the U.S. Mint affects product sellouts. Consider, for example, all 50,000 gold baseball coins sold out on their first day of release on March 27, 2014. If a customer was shipped a defective coin, then no more gold coins could be ordered or replaced since they all sold out.

MK November 11, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Isn’t it that only refunds and no replacements after sellouts are standard practice? e.g., the Royal Canadian Mint says so clearly on their homepage.

RJ November 11, 2014 at 5:51 pm

The Mint needs to change the labeling to reflect this.Very sorry it happend to you may i ask which coin was dameged or scratched Reveres Proof excetra.

G. Roberts November 11, 2014 at 7:47 pm

There was a milk spot on the obverse of the Silver Enhanced Uncirculated Kennedy Half Dollar minted in San Francisco.

senior November 11, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Short and sweet bulk discounts for retail profiters,flippers,third party grader profiteers,bogus returns plan and simple cheaters at all levels.No one promised perfect material no one promised a profit .The mint is delivering collectibles.

senior November 11, 2014 at 10:44 pm

The mint has modified there return policy for good reason

senior November 12, 2014 at 12:09 am

Okay,As collectors of moderns what do you want to see sea otters,birds,bridges,flowers,,rock stars whales war heroes light houses political figures air craft developers of technology insects war ships what the hell will make you happy just get back to collecting.Unhappy stop buying send a message

Kahoola November 12, 2014 at 1:32 am

Who is flipping and profiteering? The one set you buy for your collection has flaws in it, you just live with it? It seems to me that if you are paying a markup of $100 for $23 worth of silver the Mint and taxpayers will still make a nice profit if you return the item and replace it. Not that i am complaining about the price, compared to other world mints the US Mint prices do seem reasonable and the artistry outstanding.

senior November 12, 2014 at 10:25 am

Ok here’s the truth.I apologize for my previous write though there is truths,but it doesn’t belong here.You people writing here are mostly what I would say are somewhat youthful probably true collectors and this site is ment to inform that’s a good thing.yes every one that buys should demand nice unflawed material,after all our mint is operating some of the most advanced minting tools in the world.I collect ASE I”ve purchased all the anniversary sets,they have become quite expensive and I believe they should all be perfect.One more thing,I personally do not believe any moderns should be eligible for grading and have all these labels.Thank you.

tom thumb November 12, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Bought 5 had to send one back, The proof had a small eroded spot about a 1/4″ out from the tip of the nose. Ask for exchange for a new one, found out they just give you credit, and you have to reorder. Received notice that they received my return so I tried to reorder but it would not let me, said I reached my house hold limit. Called mint again, they informed me I had to wait till tomorrow so they can straighten it out.

Joe November 12, 2014 at 10:02 pm

tom thumb, Sounds like a nice mint error coin. They are very collectible.

senior November 12, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I would say it’s a Defective planchette,may be collectible but no excellerated value. I Would return it take the credit and reorder.Be prepared for a long wait for replacement.I’m thinking the original minting won’t sell out and the total will be sub 200 grand.If the mint doesn’t satisfy you the secondary market will more than likely be soft but be prepared the secondary market could possibly be loaded with cast offs.The current margined in this set are pretty much none existent.Really historical theme very disappointing.

RonnieBGood November 12, 2014 at 11:13 pm

The Mint should Remove the 5 per household limits now that the ordering has slowed. That will solve the return problems and also increase the large orders from the dealers. The Mint has almost got this right but the next time the 5 order limit should be removed after 2 weeks.

senior November 12, 2014 at 11:35 pm

I doubt a household allotment adjustment would benefit anyone,in that original period the market has taken shape.The bulk profiteers are into the original release this is where the money is made but with this offering there was no rush to the gate,the only gains were made by the graders,those who submitted made little or no gain.Look at the numbers.Sales at this point are a dribble.Could lead to a low montage.

senior November 12, 2014 at 11:39 pm

I doubt a household allotment adjustment would benefit anyone, in that original period the market has taken shape. The bulk profiteers are into the original release this is where the money is made but with this offering there was no rush to the gate, the only gains were made by the graders,those who submitted made little or no gain. Look at the numbers. Sales at this point are a dribble. Could lead to a low mintage

RonnieBGood November 14, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Senor,
Do Not underestimate the Business side of Coin Collecting. Their are a large number of Coins that are still sold through Brick and Mortar Coin Shops, On-Line coin shops & auctions (eBay) and TV Coin shows/ auctions. This has proven out year over year with the millions of bullion ASE sold each year that will again exceed 30 million sold this year. However, the longer they wait to remove the 5 set limit the more chance that the “excitement” for this collectable coin set will wane. Then again a Low mintage is not a bad thing either!

Eddie November 14, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Most likely low mintage now, benefits the average collector.
Love the idea of the “Business side of collecting” whinning.
Keep the limits on ordering where they are, at 5.

Mike Unser (CoinNews.net) November 14, 2014 at 3:35 pm

The U.S. Mint just announced that they are lifting the household order limits for both anniversary Kennedy products on Monday, Nov. 17, at 12:01 AM ET.

senior November 14, 2014 at 4:10 pm

in general there is no doubt the Brick and Motar shops do a good bit of business and for collectors of moderns there are advantages both ways.In regards to lifting the allotment the secondary market has been established I see no rush.I doubt sales will surpass the original minting.Regardless I still like the Kennedy theme..I for one would like to see the lower number.The value for me is in the set as a collectible.Please would someone define the characteristics of the enhanced Kennedy.

Mike Unser (CoinNews.net) November 14, 2014 at 4:19 pm

senior,
Here’s a “mapping” of the enhanced uncirculated Kennedy half-dollar treatments: http://www.coinnews.net/2014/10/24/2014-s-enhanced-uncirculated-kennedy-half-dollar-laser-treatments/

RonnieBGood November 14, 2014 at 7:32 pm

😀

bobby November 14, 2014 at 11:13 pm

I found this site looking for information. and since I started I like a conversation I have been collecting different items since I was 8. when my grandmother gave me some of her dads stamps. I have never been a smart collector but I am learning. I was watching a coin show last night and they had the 50th ann. sets with a bonus coin a damaged kennedy that from my research it should have been destroyed at the mint. but this bulk buyer was able to claim he made a deal with the mint and anyone that should have stopped these coins from leaving the mint didn’t. and to be sold to him to sell on AAN.TV. i collect and I want one of these coins but to get one I had to buy the entire set. I already have my sets I called the mint at 10 pm while the show was still on and asked for one of the damaged coins noing the answer before I called. there is a double standard bulk buyers get illeagle coins that should have been destroid. and better grades on coins that don’t deserve the grade they get. I have a store I sent 28 sets for myself and others to NGC. I have a ten power magnified halogen light we looked at every coin before they were sent to NGC. they were the best looking coins in my opinion and worth getting them graded. we got 3 70 sets of the 28 sets. I had 2 70 sets I bought from someone both reverse proofs graded 70 have noticeable scratches on them. I have always believed if you want graded buy graded. all I want is to be treated the same as others no matter how much I spend?.

John November 15, 2014 at 8:08 am

Household limits lifted

bobby November 15, 2014 at 9:13 am

if the limits are lifted if you don’t have yours you better get them the TV shows and bulk buyers will clean them out. if you waite the prices will come down on
graded coins? sooner or latter the damand for these coins is not high.

John November 17, 2014 at 6:49 am

It’s always a feeding frenzy. Unless the pin has a real low mintage, then prices fall a lot after weeks 5-8

The Kennedy gold by $500 from when first ER 70 hit. Now $1350. It should be closer to $1100.

Senior November 22, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I guess I am just too damn old.HSN these guy are setting you up for a supper screwing they are making no deals with the mint send me your money.Are you following this graded crap on the bay the flippers aren’t recovering there costs no ones gobbling up this Kennedy offering.Ok here is my prospective (opinion only)I really liked the Kennedy Theme I M of that age.Buy what you can afford directly from the mint,don’t give the graders your hard earned money.If you get flawed material from the mint pay the postage for returning and reorder,don’t buy on the secondary market it will be loaded with flawed material being dumped for a small gain.There is no current bubble and any gain will be long In coming.Buy conservatively as a collector because I believe this is only a collectible,but as a collectible I like it.