Presidential Dollar Stats: Martin Van Buren $1 Coins Mark Low

by Mike Unser on December 3, 2008 · 26 comments

Martin Van Buren Presidential $1 CoinMinting of Presidential $1 Coins have hit a new low, according to the latest production figures by the United States Mint.

The series, which started in 2007 with over 340,000 George Washington Presidential coins, has experienced a production decline with each succeeding $1 release, with the exception of the Jackson dollar.

Van Buren production is down by more than one-third compared to Washington dollar figures, as the following table reveals.

$1 Coin
Denver
Philadelphia
Total
George Washington 163,680,000 176,680,000 340,360,000
Martin Van Buren 50,960,000 51,520,000 102,480,000

A new multi-year coin series will almost always be the most popular during its launch year. Volume and interest should expect to decline as the series continues. However, these are not coins made for collectors, but intended for mass usage. Further, a 16.2 percent reduction compared to the previous Jackson $1 implies the Mint’s coin campaign to spur consumer use is hitting the expected roadblocks.

Another explanation for the decline could stem from too many previous dollar coins minted, with those pulled from vaults and used in daily transactions. In this less likely scenario, public acceptance for the coins may be increasing.

More time will tell where the series is truly heading. Although history of past $1 coin usage suggests a sheer vertical hill to climb while the dollar bill is around. More than 1.4 billion Presidential $1 coins have already minted since 2007. That is enough for every man, woman and child in America to own 4.6 of the dollars. Yet, few people ever receive one in change.

For the latest figures, visit US Mint Circulating $1 Coin Production Figures by President.

Phil Roberts January 16, 2009 at 12:36 am

Now that the edge lettering has been changed I do not intend to ever use any of the President Dollar coins.

Miss Doo March 5, 2009 at 2:03 pm

The Martin Van Buren coin was given to me as change in a store near where I live. I gave it right back. It does not have In God We Trust on it. I will refuse to use these coins and so will many others for that reason.

Davivd March 15, 2009 at 7:46 pm

yes it has in god we trust on the edge of the coin

crystal March 15, 2009 at 9:45 pm

so my dad just found one and we are wondering how much is it worth?

Tom March 17, 2009 at 5:44 pm

I like using these coins, but old habits die hard. I doubt they will ever be common in circulation until we stop printing the paper ones. In the current economic climate, I am supprised that has not happened when you compare the cost of each over the long run. For those that say they are too bulky, compare to 4 quarters. I rairly find myself carying more than 5 paper ones. I’d rather have the coins in my pocket. No more wrestling with the vending machines that don’t like my old tatered paper either.

Richard March 18, 2009 at 9:50 pm

(Phil Roberts just to let you it says In God We Trust on the edge of the coin.) how much are these coins worth because i have one.

shady May 5, 2009 at 3:05 pm

(martin van buren 8th president says pluribus unum in god we trust in the edge of the dollar coin) how is that dollar coin worth because i have 3.

shady May 5, 2009 at 3:06 pm

how much is the martin van buren dollar coin worth

Rhonda May 16, 2009 at 10:57 am

Unless it is graded high, pretty much the face value.

kyle June 3, 2009 at 4:29 pm

how much is a martin van buren 1 dolar p mint coin worth

Phil Roberts June 13, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Hello Richard,

The reason that I won’t use any Presidential coins is not where the motto In God We Trust but the fact that the Treasury did not stick to their guns and leave the series alone. They caved into the rediculous notion that In God We Trust was on the edge of the coins rather than the face. The only issue I could see was from a coin collecters viewpoint in that the edge can not be displayed in any way, shape or form.

Jim September 28, 2009 at 9:48 am

The design of this coin is rediculous. It is nearly the same size of a quarter, and sounds the same as well. One would have to take the time and ensure what type of coin you are handing to a clerk. The US Mint should make the US dollar coin distinct from other coins – like the UK does with the British Pound coin – thicker and heavier.

Paul September 28, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Jim…the US dollar coin is gold in color..the quarter is silver….if you cant tell the difference then perhaps you need glasses.

jared February 23, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Kyle, the Martin Van Buren $1 Coin is worth $5. Names can be misleading sometimes.

ralph August 4, 2010 at 9:06 pm

what if i have a martin van buren dollar that is silver. how much is that worth?

Ben September 20, 2010 at 8:28 pm

I found a martin van buren dollar coin that looks really odd. The face on the front and the statue on the back look normal. However the rest of the inside of the coin is unfinnished. It is dull in color as if it didnt recieve the coating the rest of the coin got. Has anyone else seen one of these

dutch February 19, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Just found one of ‘em up here in Toronto, Canada. A “P” striking…
Any offers on a foriegn US coin? ;)

missyblue May 27, 2011 at 7:59 pm

i have a martin van buren coin are you 100% sure its worth 5$ cuz i dont know just wondering

Me June 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm

If I have 37 Martin van buren coins are they worth something

sherrie martin July 26, 2011 at 6:47 pm

how much is a 1737 and 1841 van buren dollar coin worth today?

Leekid June 9, 2012 at 8:55 pm

To me…… money is money. You use it or you don’t use it and then u just move on with the rest of your life.

William Lisovets June 12, 2012 at 11:14 am

Miss Doo, if you would’ve examined the coin on the outer edges were it is usually rough on regular quarters, you would’ve noticed it says “In God we Trust” and it show the year it was made.

Adrian Shan June 28, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Im sorry to burst in any bubbles, but in god we trust wasnt even added to the one dollar bill until 1957. There are many examples of things like this including the fact that “one nation under god” was not added to the pledge of allegiance until the late 50s. Once again, there are many examples of this. A little research easily reveals this. Anyway, this is not an attack on religion but I would like to say that to only use currency with “in god we trust” printed on currency is redundant, even somewhat counterproductive, because the reason this is on American currency is due to propaganda relative to the cold war and not in homage to Christianity.

Denny January 4, 2013 at 3:35 pm

My 4 year old son brought a Martin Van Buren dollar coin back to me as change from a vending machine. It is now 2013 and this coin is in perfect condition. Not one scratch or mark on it. It it worth more than a dollar or will it become more valuable if I keep it in a case to keep from any damage it could get

one dollar August 29, 2013 at 3:02 pm

A dollar coin is worth a dollar. There you go, folks. Thank me later.

Quinnda S. Hansell-McMullen October 1, 2014 at 2:16 pm