2009 Abraham Lincoln Silver Dollar Coin Designs Revealed

by CoinNews.net on November 19, 2008 · 13 comments

Commemorative 2009 Abraham Lincoln Silver Dollar Coin designs were revealed by the United States Mint on Wednesday during the annual Dedication Day Ceremony at Soldiers’ National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The silver dollar will join four newly designed circulating pennies to celebrate the bicentennial of Lincoln’s birth in 2009.

2009 Abraham Lincoln Commemorative Silver Dollar Coin Designs

The ceremony occurred on the 145th anniversary of the dedication of Soldiers’ National Cemetery, where Abraham Lincoln delivered his historic Gettysburg Address in 1863 and also where United States Mint Deputy Director Andrew Brunhart unveiled the commemorative Lincoln coin designs to the public.

"It is my great honor to represent the United States Mint on the 145th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address," Deputy Director Brunhart said.  "It is also my great privilege to introduce the designs for the 2009 Abraham Lincoln Commemorative Silver Dollar to the American people."

The coin’s reverse design by Sculptor-Engraver Phebe Hemphill features a laurel wreath encircling the final 43 words of the Gettysburg Address:  WE HERE HIGHLY RESOLVE THAT THESE DEAD SHALL NOT HAVE DIED IN VAIN – THAT THIS NATION, UNDER GOD, SHALL HAVE A NEW BIRTH OF FREEDOM – AND THAT GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE, SHALL NOT PERISH FROM THE EARTH.  Below is Lincoln’s signature.

The obverse, or "heads" side of the coin portrays Lincoln, which the Mint said was inspired by Daniel Chester French’s famous sculpture of the President inside the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. It was created by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program Master Designer Justin Kunz and sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Don Everhart

The Abraham Lincoln Commemorative Coin Act calls for up to 500,000 uncirculated and proof silver dollars to be struck at the Mint’s Philadelphia facility. $10 surcharges for each silver dollar sale will be paid to the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission (ALBC) to further its work.

[Editor’s update: For a more detailed Lincoln article that includes history, prices, images and additional bicentennial collector offerings, follow 2009 Lincoln Commemorative Silver Dollars. To go directly to the Mint’s online store to order, follow these proof and uncirculated links.]

JAMES KOEHLER November 27, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Please advise what the price and availablity will be on the Lincoln/gettysburg siver dollar will be. Thank you.

James Koehler

MARION BURNS December 17, 2008 at 10:22 am

I am interested in purchasing 55 new Lincoln Silver Dollars OR the new Lincoln penney sets as gifts for members of a local club interested in Lincoln history.

Please advise.
Thank you.

Mary Hafer December 28, 2008 at 10:26 am

Am interested in buying the New Lincoln commerative, how can I pre-purchase

karol Feeser January 5, 2009 at 7:13 pm

I an interested in purchasing the Lincoln Silver Dollar and also the Lincoln pennies sets, how do I go about it ,please advise

josh combs January 24, 2009 at 12:06 am

What is the price for the silver dollar and how do I pre-purchase?

mike carver January 26, 2009 at 11:25 am

i would also like to know the price of the lincoln dollar and where to get it

Bob Rader March 13, 2009 at 8:16 pm

I just ordered the silver dollar and can not wait until i get it i have alot of coins but when this one came out i knew i had to have it thank you so much please send it fast ( by pony express if you wish ) HA! HA!

Aaron April 29, 2009 at 8:10 pm

To all who are inquiring about the Lincoln Commemorative Silver Dollar…….

I placed my order with the U.S. Mint, the minute (literally) they went on sale andd was notified of the delay (there’s something new) and when the shipments would begin.
On the day the shipments were to begin, I checked my account with the U.S. Mint to retrieve the tracking number. Guess what? My order for the Lincoln Comm. mysteriously dissapeared from my account.
I called the Mint and asked why and was informed that an order never existed.
This chump Moy (The Director of the Mint) needs a serious spanking and needs to answer for his pathetic staff of people. I know the government is notorious for being lazy, but come on…. they are going to loose plenty of money as collectors, such as myself, would rather go to our favorite coin dealers and help them stay afloat and receive great customer service.

Boooooo to you Moy and your worthless employees at the Mint. If you were on CNN, you would receive an F.

Daniel Burch May 1, 2009 at 7:15 am

It does not seem to contain the “In God We Trust” insignia on this Silver dollar. Why would that be? I would say unless you are an Athiest, we should refuse this if ever given as change.

Sandi David May 27, 2009 at 11:06 am

Can I still purchase the 2009 Abraham Lincoln Silver Coin? If so, where and for how much?

Mike May 27, 2009 at 11:41 am

Sandi, the Lincoln silver coins released to date have sold out. The US Mint will release a special set containing the proof version later this summer, however. For more, check out:

Lincoln Silver Dollars and Cent Rolls Sell Out

spencer July 27, 2009 at 10:12 pm

CoinCollector June 5, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Here is a page about the Abraham Lincoln silver dollar coin that gives some interesting commentary: